Smile of the Day

Life is getting much too serious, yes? Who doesn't need a daily smile?




Saturday, December 3

Give us this day our daily chicken

After watching Kentucky Fried Chicken sales falling off for three straight months, the Colonel calls up the Pope and asks for a favour: to change the daily prayer from "Give us this day our daily bread" to "Give us this day our daily chicken". He sweetens the pot a little: "If you do it, I will donate 10 million dollars to the Vatican."

The Pope replies, "I am sorry. That is the Lord's prayer and I cannot change the words." So the Colonel hangs up.

But after another month of dismal sales, the Colonel panics and calls again: "Listen, your Excellency. I really need your help. I will donate $50 million dollars if you change those words."

And once again the Pope responds, "Certainly it is very tempting, Colonel Sanders. The church could do much good with all that money. It would help us to support many charities. But, again, I must decline. It is the Lord's prayer, and I cannot change the words." So once again, the Colonel gives up.

But after two more months of terrible sales, the Colonel gets truly desperate: "This is my final offer, your Excellency. If you change the words of the daily prayer from 'Give us this day our daily bread' to 'Give us this day our daily chicken', I will donate $100 million to the Vatican."

Replies the Pope, "Let me get back to you."

So the next day, the Pope calls together all of his cardinals: "I have some good news and I have some bad news. The good news is that KFC is going to donate $100 million to the Vatican. The bad news is that we lost the Wonder Bread account."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home