Smile of the Day

Life is getting much too serious, yes? Who doesn't need a daily smile?




Thursday, March 30

24 hours to live

A man is told by his doctor that he has only 24 hours to live. He went home to tell his wife and, after they have both had a long cry over it, the two of them went to bed -- not to sleep, but to fulfill his last request. ("Of course I will, darling!") After all, he only has 24 hours to live.

Four hours later he turns over: I only have 20 hours left to live, could you do it again? And she smiles with love and with sympathy, and of course agrees.

Four hours later, she had just fallen asleep from exhaustion -- it had been a long day even before, and something close to an all-nighter before that -- when he taps her on the shoulder: "You know, dear, I only have 16 hours left, how about one more time, for old times sake?" But, well ... she agrees, a little reluctantly.

Almost at once this time she falls asleep: but, sure enough, four hours later: "Dear, I hate to keep bothering you but you know I only have 12 hours left, can we do it one more time?"

She can't even quite get all the way awake, this time. "You know, you don't have to get up in the morning, but I do ..."

2 Comments:

Blogger Marsha said...

Funny, made me laugh

4:40 PM  
Blogger Cernunnos said...

Yeah, that wasn't bad.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home