Smile of the Day

Life is getting much too serious, yes? Who doesn't need a daily smile?




Sunday, March 19

A troubled heart

An elderly Italian Jewish man was seeking spirital advice from his rabbi: "Rabbi, during World War 2, when the Germans entered Italy, I pretended to be a Catholic and changed my name from Levy to Spamoni, and I am alive today because of it."

"Self-preservation is allowable," answered the rabbi, "and the fact that you never forgot you were a Jew is admirable."

"But, Rabbi, during the war, a beautiful Jewish woman knocked on my door and asked me to hide her from the Germans. I hid her in my attic and they never found her."

"That was a wonderful thing you did," said the rabbi. "Certainly you have no need to feel guilty over this."

"But it is worse than that, Rabbi. I was weak, and told her she must repay me with sexual favours -- which she did, repeatedly."

"You were both in great danger," answered the rabbi, "and would have suffered terribly if the Germans had found her. There is a favourable balance between good and evil, and you will be judged kindly. Give up your feelings of guilt."

The man breathes a sigh of relief: "Thank you, Rabbi, that is a great load off my mind. But I do have one more question."

"And what is that?"

"Should I tell her the war is over?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home