Smile of the Day

Life is getting much too serious, yes? Who doesn't need a daily smile?




Friday, June 16

A "C"?

From Charles Schultz, Peanuts

Sally, in kindergarten:

A "C"? I got a "C" on my coat-hanger sculpture? How could anyone get a "C" in coat-hanger sculpture?

May I ask a question?

Was I judged on the piece of sculpture itself? If so, is it not true that time alone can judge a piece of art?

Or was I judged on my talent? If so, is it right that I be judged on a part of life over which I have no control?

If I was judged on my effort, then I was judged unfairly, for I tried as hard as I could!

Was I judged on what I had learned about this project? If so, then were not you, my teacher, also being judged on your ability to transmit your knowledge to me? Are you willing to share my "C"?

Perhaps I was being judged on the quality of the coat-hanger itself out of which my creation was made ... Now, is this also not unfair?

Am I to be judged by the quality of coat-hangers that are used by the drycleaning establishment that returns our garments? Is that not the responsibility of my parents? Should they not share my "C"?

"(The squeaky wheel gets the grease!)"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have recently discovered your blog and I want you to know that I appreciate it immensely.

It is so refreshing to see a blog that offers something without asking for anything in return, where people simply enjoy your sense of humour and don't end up at each other's throat because of philosophical difference.

And most of all a humour site that can be rated G and can be recommended to our children.

May God bless you and I hope you continue this great service for a long time.

Anything I can do to help?

6:44 PM  
Blogger la vie bohème said...

I would like to see this thing if it exists.

10:39 PM  
Blogger chumly said...

Thanks I needed a smile and you provided one for me.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Tenebris said...

Glad you like :) The best part of these kinds of sites is when they do give a lift where it is needed. Maybe it is that I am able to make at least this small, positive difference in the world.

We don't need to mock others to find that lift. Laughter at, divides. Laughter with, unites. (In this age of hair dyes, blonde jokes do stay ... but mark the not-so-tiny twinges of envy at the heart of their existence!) But to unite, the core of the humour has to be, not separation and polarisation, but empathy. Take a step back, see ourselves in the mirror of our own lives and our own laughter.

"Rated G" -- too many different understandings of what this means for me to readily confirm or deny. If you find the first two or three pages appropriate, you will never see a joke that strays outside those parameters. Fair enough?

If anyone runs across pieces they want to see on this site, by all means do e-mail them to me. (tenebris at gmail dot com) I can't guarantee I can post everything though, and I may re-write some of what I do post. Also, some of what you send might already be in the archives :)

Other than that, I would certainly appreciate it that, if you are going to buy from Amazon anyway, that you do it through this site.

I very much do intend to keep on doing this and other on-line writing as long as I am able; seem to have committed my life to it, in fact. (Hence the existence of the advertisements: although I hope to cut down the numbers once we switch fully over to http://www.theblackfly.net .) Others enjoy reading these pieces. I enjoy the finding and sharing. If I can manage even a break-even living at it, what more is reasonable to ask for?

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home