Smile of the Day

Life is getting much too serious, yes? Who doesn't need a daily smile?




Thursday, August 17

What math professors say ...

... and what they mean by it:

Clearly: I don't want to write down all the "in-between" steps.
Trivial: If I have to show you how to do this, you are in the wrong class.
It can easily be shown: No more than four hours are needed to prove it.
Check for yourself: This is the boring part of the proof, so you can do it on your own time.
Hint: The hardest of several possible ways to do a proof.
Brute force: Four special cases, three counting arguments and two long inductions.
Elegant proof: Requires no previous knowledge of the subject matter and is less than ten lines long.
Similarly: At least one line of the proof of this case is the same as before.
Two line proof: I will leave out everything but the conclusion. (You can't question 'em if you can't see 'em.)
Briefly: I am running out of time, so I will just write and talk faster.
Proceed formally: Manipulate symbols by the rules without any hint of their true meaning.
Proof omitted: Trust me, it is true.

2 Comments:

Blogger rob said...

I randomly stumbled across your site today... awesome. Thanks for the effort you put into it. It made me laugh and laugh and laugh some more.

My bro is living in Pennsylvania, so I found the 12th August particularly good ;-)

Thanks,
R)

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Charlotte said...

yeah awesome site :D hehehe i like the thing about the funeral :D hahaha

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home