Smile of the Day

Life is getting much too serious, yes? Who doesn't need a daily smile?




Monday, September 22

A fresh start

She had lost her savings, she had lost her home, and now she had quit entirely on her California life and spent her last dime to make her way north to Canada for a fresh start. And wouldn't you know it, as she stood shivering on the pier in Vancouver, staring out into the murky waters, she ran into a young, handsome sailor who made her an offer: "My ship sails for Hawai'i in the morning. If you like, I can stow you away. I promise to take good care of you and bring you food everyday." He moved closer, slipping his arm around her shoulder. "I will keep you happy, and you will keep me happy."

He was young, he was handsome, and after barely a moment she agreed. She had been prepared to make a new start ... and whatever else, Hawai'i would be warm.

So he brought her secretly on board and hid her in a lifeboat. From that point on, every evening at the end of his watch he brought her three sandwiches and some fruit juice, and then they would make passionate love until it came time for the sailor's next watch.

It could not last, of course. Two weeks later, she was discovered by the captain during a routine inspection. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I have an arrangement with one of the sailors," she explained. "He gets me food and this passage to Hawai'i, and in return he is screwing me."

"He certainly is," agreed the captain. "You are on the Nanaimo ferry."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home